Friday, February 22, 2008

Day 3 in Haiti - A Day of Rest

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day of Rest

We decided to make Sunday a real day of rest; we slept in until 7:00 or 7:30. It rained hard all night long, but stopped just before we woke up. Marie brought hot water and coffee up for us and we enjoyed a hot cup of coffee while we listened to Don play his violin at 8:00. Marie made us a large, lovely breakfast. Because of the rain the road to Lynn and Marie’s house was flooded with puddles and mud. Marie recommended we not try to walk to church; instead, we had a small service here with Dr. Don playing hymns and leading a bible study about mountains noted in the bible.

We had a very restful day; we actually spent a lot of it sorting meds, cleaning them out, and redistributing them for the next three clinics. Greyson and I counted out and bagged antacids, acetaminophen and multivitamins. It was good work and we feel so much better prepared for the rest of the week. In fact, we liked having the opportunity to get really organized and have decided that for our next trip we will not go out on a clinic for the first day. Instead, we’ll take the first day to get organized in the way we did today. Doing that will mean that we not only have more time to rest after an 18 hour trip to Okay, but we’ll also not need to spend so much time in Massachusetts trying to squeeze in packing and sorting. We all seemed to think this was a good idea….definitely a little different model for us.

Marie made us a luscious large lunch with chicken, beet salad, fried plantains, acassa juice and fresh mango juice, and her wonderful rice with sauce. It was so delicious that we decided to have a simple easy dinner.

The big event of the afternoon was when Greyson dropped to the ground when our small hammock let go; unfortunately she bruised her back pretty well…adding to all of the other bruises we all have from the trip to Platon.

The evening was beautiful with a nearly full moon and starlit sky, a very tropical night. The power was out so there was no extraneous streetlights or TV noise to be heard. Natalie and Daphka began to softly ‘chant’ downstairs and Marie joined them. Before long Paul and I joined them singing down from the balcony and then Dr. Don joined in softly with his violin. It was a beautiful time that will mark a special evening.

Amoce arrived at about 9:00 p.m. to tell us about a woman who he had just visited. She has a gangrenous leg almost like the woman we saw in Camp Perrin last year. Amoce said they made plans to bring her to St. Elen to our clinic. I told him I’d tell Mark about it in the morning and we’d go see her.

No comments: